Had dinner at Ohri's JIVA last night - the new eat-out joint that opened on Rajbhavan Road. It was okay; was not really impressed though. Ran into Dr. U and Dr S at the restaurant. It was really nice to see Dr. U after such a long time (6 or 7 years?). And she was just the same - her usual, affectionate self. Suddenly I felt really nostalgic - about the University, about a few people I had known then and stuff we used to work on - those arguments (while guzzling zillion cups of tea) that would start in the morning and extend till late into the night, starting at the department and eventually moving to Gop's (tea shop) under the starlit sky; the serious pouring over books, documents and essays trying to deconstruct and reconstruct every word that one reads, the discussions on books and theory.
I know ours is not to turn back and ask why, yet I wondered about my life and what would have been had I tread another path.
So, India won the Kotla test against Sri Lanka rather comprehensively, which is good news. And Ganguly has been dropped from the third test, which is good but sad news. I am all for Ganguly being dropped. He indeed has been performing way below par in the last one year or so. Yet, I can't help but feel sorry for him at this point of time. Someone who has scripted almost every success story of Indian cricket in the last decade, someone who has been instrumental in changing the face of Indian cricket, someone who is the most successful Indian captain ever surely doesn't deserve to fade out in such a manner.
I know ours is not to turn back and ask why, yet I wondered about my life and what would have been had I tread another path.
So, India won the Kotla test against Sri Lanka rather comprehensively, which is good news. And Ganguly has been dropped from the third test, which is good but sad news. I am all for Ganguly being dropped. He indeed has been performing way below par in the last one year or so. Yet, I can't help but feel sorry for him at this point of time. Someone who has scripted almost every success story of Indian cricket in the last decade, someone who has been instrumental in changing the face of Indian cricket, someone who is the most successful Indian captain ever surely doesn't deserve to fade out in such a manner.
No comments:
Post a Comment