Friday, April 20, 2007

The "D-day" conspiracy

As the D-Day approaches, I am sure all the channels will go into a frenzy, if they already haven't. Speculations will be made, guesses hazarded, conspiracies hatched - all to get an insider's view. Already it is being touted as the event of the year, Shaadi No 1 and what not, and the time and energy spent by the television channels to get a glimpse into what is supposedly happening within the fortified walls of Prateeksha and Jalsa makes one question the whole exercise. Can they not use the same amount of time and energy in a better manner, to really make a difference?

The day before yesterday every channel had at least a 5-minute segment about the Sangeet ceremony for the Abhi-Ash wedding (did you really think I was talking about the Doomsday Conspiracy?), "reflecting deeply" on what songs would be sung, on whether Hrithik would be performing for his good friend Abhi and on how Ash was rehearsing her special number, Kajra re. And coincidentally, all the channels had a similar heading for this segment (worded differently, of course): Ash-Abhi Sangeet: You are not invited!

Now, I can't help but wonder - what is this obsession with this wedding? And what is the big deal about not being invited? Here are two individuals tying a knot (as do thousands others every second somewhere in this country). Just because they happen to be in a profession that keeps them in the public eye all the time, the media and scores of others around the nation seem to presume they have a de facto right to partake in these celebrations. If Abhi and Ash and their families want to have a personal moment away from the public glare and cameras, is it so difficult to give it to them? What irks me is when the so-called national channels on their prime time news bulletins create such a hype over two individuals getting married when there are other important issues at stake in this country? For a week now, almost every news bulletin during the day on every channel must have had at least 3 minutes (on an average) devoted to this. Go, calculate how much time is that?

Now, think of the following stories about children in this country:
1. A report on child abuse in India shows that 2 out of every 3 children face some form of abuse, and usually from someone known or someone in the position of responsibility.
2. Another report throws light on the rampant malnutrition among Indian children, that it is responsible for 50 per cent of the 2.3 million child deaths in the country.
3. That according to NACO estimates there are 2,00,000 children under 15 suffering from AIDs in this country and about 50,000 to 60,000 children are born with HIV every year (And we spend time wondering whether or not it was alright for a Hollywood star to kiss a Bollywood star in public).

Can you recall seeing a detailed analysis of any of these stories on the idiot box? I can't help but wonder where we are going. We have the time and energy and the motivation to reflect for hours together on a kiss that should have been given a miss, or a wedding that essentially is a private affair. Yet, we don't find the same time to focus on things that need to be talked about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my thoughts exactly. every morning when i reda one indian online newspaper or the other - the first things I am confronted with is either the AshAbhi wedding or the Arun n Liz Hurley thing...media without priorities...why a german title? curious rohini

Emma said...

[Rohini] You should have seen the television channels on the D-day itself. And with Jahnvi Kapoor providing the much-required twist in the tale, they seemed to have gone completely overboard!

Why a German title? Multiple reasons - because I really do like the language. I learnt it as a kid and even though I don't speak it any more, I miss it. And this is one way of trying to hold on to it, I guess :).

Somehow, it is sometimes more powerful than English, don't you think? Do you speak German?

Anonymous said...

Hi Emma, just got around to getting back to you. I like the language too - I live in the South of Germany and I would like to hold onto my english!I peep into the Times of India now and hen and I must say I am horrified at the increasingly (its ony increasing) rate of crime on women - especially in the cities and on minors. I must admit I am a proud Inderin but these are things that disgust and repel me to the core. SUre theres crime in Europe too but if you were to compare...

Anonymous said...

[rohini] I am completely with you on this - especially about the crimes against women, especially in Delhi. It is appalling. I know the numbers don't compare anywhere to what happens in those parts of the world.

So you live in the South of Germany! Wow. Which part? I am sure you speak German very well. I have always wanted to improve on my language - even though I learnt German haven't had a chance to use it a lot.