Thursday, January 05, 2006

These surprise me...

... that a British mobile company, Dot Mobile, wants to condense classic works of literature into SMS text messages. They claim the service would be a valuable resource for "studying for exams". After almost eight years of study of literature, I can't help but wonder how much of a "value addition" this service would have done to me! Okay, I am a purist, I will not deny that. And I honestly do not find the idea even a weebit amusing. Hamlet's famous soliloquy, "To be or not to be, that is the question," becomes "2b? Nt2b? ???". WoW! I wonder what would something like this translate to: "What a piece of work is man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animal!".

On second thoughts, this could be interesting; though I still think it is absurd. Okay, I shut up, before someone comes out and says, "The lady doth protest too much, me thinks."



...that famous publishers and literary agents do not really recognize a good book when they see one. An undercover operation in Britain lifts the veil on the myth that great publishers know a good work when they see one. Books such as Stanley Middleton's Holiday (1974 Booker Prize) or V S Naipaul's In a Free State, when sent to these publishers/agents as new manuscripts, were rejected as "not interesting enough". Well, well, well! What can one really say!



... that the inaugural session of the 93rd Indian Science Congress was abruptly adjourned even as a Nobel Laureate got ready to deliver his special address scheduled for the occasion. The Hindu might call it a pleasant confusion, but I am sure it was anything but that for Amartya Sen, when delegates at the conference trooped out immediately after the Prime Minister's speech even as Sen got up to deliver his address. Talk of being treated shabbily!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And this is how we treat someone like Amartya Sen. Sad.

Anonymous said...

hi! I had written earlier about how literary classics become txt msgs :)
check it otu sometime - http://indsight.org/blog/archives/2005/11/22/my-mindspace-blog/

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We weint to masinagudi too, and stayed at Johns, we went treking in the hills and saw many animals,

i will go there again

Paul and Jenny
UK

Emma said...

Hi Paul and Jenny,
I hope you had fun at Masinagudi... Yes, it is a place worth going back to.