Thursday, October 16, 2008

Yaadon ke saaye

We should feel honoured. We have been tagged by the kid. And as responsible adults we have to respond. So, here we go.

My oldest memory:
Taking off from what the kid says, having lived very long on this third rock from the sun, we have too many experiences, memories of which are all forgotten. Besides, our friends tell us we have a 3-second memory, so my oldest memory is like 3-seconds back. Alright, alright. We get serious. But seriously, I don't remember a whole lot of things from my childhood or growing up years unless I rely on hearsay narratives. One of the things I can recollect however is my long held fascination for construction. This is from the years when my parents were building their home, I was about 6 or 7 years old. I watched in awe as each brick was put together and the walls came up, leading to rooms and then an entire floor. I wondered (and still do) how one can visualise an entire house from nothing. This, my colleagues will tell you, has lasted all these years - even today you can catch me watching this whole process mesmerised.

Ten years ago:
1. The organisation we believed in had shut its doors on our face and we protested (seriously, with hunger strikes, blood donations, even police station and high court visits) against the injustice meted out to us. I was idealistic (yes, even at that late age) and believed we could take on the might of the money. We succeeded to a certain extent, and the experience has surely left me richer.
2. I took my first steps towards making a career in the good-bad IT world. Sometimes, we look back and wonder - हमने क्या खोया, हमने क्या पाया

My first thought this morning:
As always - list of things to do for the day. On the top of the list was this: I have to write to the kid!

If you built a time capsule, what would it contain:
This is easy - my gramophone, my LPs, my music system and all my CDs, cassettes, my entire library, stationery and a fountain pen (we grew up in the days of no computers/laptops and are quite used to penning - as against typing - our thoughts down). I guess we should say some food to help us survive as well; else, what is the point in having all the above.

This year:
Has been like any other - कभी खुशी कभी गम

14 years from now:
We will be 14 years older (if still alive) and hopefully retired with loads of money to be able to travel around the world.

Now tagged:
This is tough. But we shall tag
Ludwig - We always like to hear what he has to say
Unmana - I am sure she will have some interesting answers
Teofkap - Hopefully, this will make him do his first blog post
Mridula - This shouldn't really scare you
Shruthi - She always has fascinating things to say

No comments: