Monday, August 21, 2006

Ustad Bismillah Khan dead

I just heard this news - Ustad Bismillah Khan died early this morning from cardiac arrest. And I suddenly felt kind of sad - for the man he was, for the dreams he had.

Years ago, when I was a journalist, I had the good fortune of not only reviewing Ustad's concert but also doing an interview with him. I was not new to Shehnai - this is a close relative of nadaswaram found in South India, and the latter is played at temples and various functions always. But as I sat through his concert I realised this - as with M S Subbalakshmi, divinity flowed from his music.

After the concert, even though it was quite late in the night and Khan Sahib was rather tired from playing music for couple of hours, he still took time out to speak to me. It is difficult not to be touched by his simplicity and childlike charm (he was 80-plus then). He spoke to me about his life, about what his music means to him and also about his disillusionment with his own family and the world around him. A pious Shia Muslim and a devotee of Mother Saraswati - others see contradiction in Khan Sahib's religion and music, but he saw this as divine unity. What came through during the course of the interview was also his concern for others - since it was pretty late, he started to eat while speaking to me. And since it was late for me too, he kept urging me to take something as well. He was rather generous with photographs, and also obliged me when I wanted a photograph with him. To me, this is indeed one of the most cherished "encounters" of my journalist days.

Today, we have indeed lost a great soul and musician, and India (and more importantly, Varanasi) are left much poorer by the loss.

To me, much more than his music, Bismillah Khan will always represent this - the most appropriate metaphor to define India's diversity and culture - where else can you see residents of the "most holy Hindu city" waking up to the musical notes of a devout Muslim .

6 comments:

Shruthi said...

Good post, Emma. I was out the entire day and heard the news only in the evening - and felt a sudden profound sadness. His music was wonderful, and probably nobody else can play the Shehnai like he can - not now, not ever.
One of my favourite musicians....

Emma said...

[shruthi] Thanks - I can so understand your sadness for I felt it too. Yes, his music was indeed wonderful - and because of him the Shehnai had become a very different instrument from what one is used to in India. Definitely, one of my favourite musicians as well...

chitra said...

Yes, Not only his music, but the way he lived his life humbly till the end : are all revered.

Anonymous said...

Nicely written ma'am. The last line sums it all up.

You know what, maybe we wont be able to understand this as much as you will, for you had the great fortune of meeting him, spending time with him in peson.

You are right, Banares is left poorer. There is a void.

Anonymous said...

[chitra] You are very right - he should be revered for the person he was as well as the life he led.

[truman] Thanks... I don't know if I have an extra edge over others because I met up - but to me that is what he has always seemed. There is a definite void.

Anonymous said...

Rock on man!! Nice site u have here!! You know some of the most fascinating places I’ve seen when traveling is in India!! India is so cool to an extent, that when u’re there..u see the simplicity of life mixed with modernism, u can’t help feel like it’s heaven!! The safaris, the trekking, wildlife and sooo much more to see there!!

There are tons of travel agents who’ll get u a good deal on travel there!, but my personal recommendation is the site called India travel route..
Try this link below, else u can google it…

http://www.indiatravelroute.com/?channel=rgxblog16&adgroup=albernegedanken.blogspot

but it’s one amazing place!! I totally recommend it!! Especially if ur going around this time, i.e. Aug-Oct, the whether is simply DE-LIGHT-FUL!!!

Cheers