This year is the 200th anniversary of this event - one that happened 50 years before what we know as the first war of independence. Also known as the Vellore Mutiny this is considered to be one of the first open revolt against the British East India company. The revolt which took place on July 10, 1806 in Vellore was brief but brutal, as mutineers occupied the Vellore Fort (seen below) and killed as many as 200 British troops from around 370 stationed there. Finally, the mutiny was subdued by reinforcements called in from Arcot.

As with the 1857 War of Independence, the Vellore Mutiny was against the perceived interference of the British in the religious customs of the Sepoys. In November 1805 the commander-in-chief of the Madras Army, Sir John Cradock, ordered a change in Sepoy head-dress from turban to 'round hat'. There was also a prohibition against wearing caste-based marks on their bodies - Hindus were asked not to put religious marks on foreheads, while Muslims were asked to trim their beards and remove their moustaches. These new regulations were seen as an attack on the religious beliefs of the troops. The British who got wind of the simmering dissent against the new regulations publicly lashed a few sepoys - this sent out the wrong signals. These factors, along with instigation by sons of Tipu Sultan who were imprisoned at the Vellore Fort, resulted in the mutiny at Vellore.
According to historian S Muthiah as many as 1500 strong Indian sepoys took part in the uprising, which began at 3 am on July 10. By mid-morning, the Indians had seized the fort and killed the European soldiers on duty. They however made one mistake - they failed to close the fort gates securely, thereby allowing the British troops based at Arcot charge in and subdue the mutineers and recapture the fort. It is said that Indian troops did manage to kill a substantial number of the European soldiers stationed at Vellore at that time (see the picture below).
I do think this is an important event in India's struggle for freedom. A lot of similarities can be seen in the mutiny of 1806 and the mutiny of 1857. Why it probably failed to capture the attention of historians is because of the scope of the revolt itself - in 1857 the revolt spread to many areas such as Awadh, Bundlekhand, Rohilkhand, thereby making it more than just a sepoy mutiny. Whereas the 1806 rebellion did not spread beyond one region. Also, the 1857 War of Independence resulted in the eventual end of the British East India Company rule in India and led to the direct rule by the British government over much of the subcontinent and this lasted for another 90 years.
I believe that one still has to remember the brave soldiers who led the first recognized fight against the Company and laid down their lives. As we celebrate the 150th anniversary of what has been called the First War of Independence it would help to take a moment to pay homage to those that actually were involved in the First Revolt against the British regime. For, they, in their own way, laid the foundation that resulted in the 1857 mutiny as well as the eventual freedom struggle.
6 comments:
'vellore mutiny' is a news to me.
[inder] Till a few days ago, it was to me as well. That is why I blogged about it. I believe it is important for us to know and remember these events.
Thanks for sharing this info. i was not aware of this. I have felt except for a few, like Bharathiyar, Kappal Ottiya tamilan and few others, I thought that people down south didnt play a major role. This is really en enlightening info. I would appreciate if you can shed some more knowledge.
[chitra] I really know only as much as I have put down here - I am indeed trying to gather more information about such lesser known events of our history. I do hope you come back and keep checking.
Thanks FOR such precise and timely blog. There are many such movements that are not at all recognised simply because of their not being spread widely. Thanks again good work keep it up
[rajeev] Thanks a lot - I appreciate your kind words.
Post a Comment