Monday, March 13, 2006

About introverts.... and me

I read this and it felt like someone was holding a mirror up to me - what was said in the first two paragraphs seemed alarmingly about myself. People have often told me I was an introvert, anti-social, moody - words that seemed to carry a negative baggage with them. But this article explains it so well. Very apt, indeed.

Do read the whole piece and also this interview by Jonathan Rauch.

(Links via India Uncut).

6 comments:

Amy N. said...

The only thing a true introvert dislikes more than talking about himself is repeating himself.
This is me! I'm also terrible at meaningless small talk, but can talk forever about a subject that interests me. My husband says I can sell anything to anyone if it's something I believe in.

That was a fantastic article, thanks for the links. I think I was more of an extrovert as a teenager, but am becoming more of an introvert as I get older.

They assume that company, especially their own, is always welcome.
This explains why my brother-in-law (definitely an extrovert) drives me crazy. I've been trying to figure it out for fourteen years and now I finally know.

Anonymous said...

[lilyb] I am glad you found it useful. I can so see where you are coming from - so often we introverts are told that something is wrong with us, that we start believing it to be true. I have always been an introvert but over the years I think I have learnt to mask my true feelings and be social when required :).

Shruthi said...

The only thing a true introvert dislikes more than talking about himself is repeating himself. That's my husband! :)
I read these articles through India Uncut too.. and while most of it seemed right for me, it seemed to be written with my husband in mind! I was thrilled with it.

Anonymous said...

[shruthi] You should get your husband to read these articles. I can imagine how you felt - I was thrilled too to see someone put their finger on exactly what introversion is all about.

Mridula said...

Such wonderful links Emma. I do not know if I am completely introvert or not but I tend towards it, no doubt, thanks for the links.

Emma said...

[unmana] Thank you. I am glad it helped. You are right - there was a time when I was faulted with only because I was an introvert and reserved. While I have to admit that over the years I myself have changed to a large extent, but today I don't really let anyone make me feel guilty about who I am :).