She looked through the documents I had given her and then looked up at me. “Okay,” she said. “These look good, but where are his (hubby’s) documents.” I said, “You have mine including a letter from my organization. That should be enough right.” She said, “No. In fact, even if I didn’t have your documents it wouldn’t matter. It is important that all his documents are in place.” I was shocked and she elaborated, “If the husband’s documents are complete, there is just more credibility.” I was too shocked to react.
This conversation took place when I was sitting across the table with my travel agent, finalizing our annual vacation plans. When we decided to do this trip, she told us that she would require a few documents from us for visa purposes. Well, we probably were being presumptuous but we assumed that if we gave her one set of documents it will be fine. My documents were ready and in order (thanks to my US consulate visit the week before) and hence I gave her mine. Only to be told this. I fail to understand it. I am as much an honest, law-abiding citizen of this country as hubby is, a person who is employed and who has previously been to other countries (including a year-and-a-half in the US). I earn a lot more than hubby; I plan out the entire trip for the family and sponsor it as well, yet I have no credibility. Can someone please explain this to me? Worse still, my travel agent tells me, if I were to be traveling alone I would be required to carry a “no objection certificate” from my husband. Why, I ask absolutely incredulous. She says, “This is to prevent the wife from leaving the country if she were having some marital problems.” So, what happens if in a similar situation the husband has to travel abroad? Would he have to carry a similar certificate from the wife? The way she looked at me said everything; surely, I can’t be as dumb as that.
And, they tell me it is not a man’s world anymore!!!
Postscript: Later, I was talking to another colleague and she recounted this experience she had at a bank. She had gone to this national bank to open an account for her 5-year-old daughter. She is the Finance Manager with our organization and the company banks with this national bank. Hence, she knew all the officers out there on a first-name basis. In the application form she entered her name as the legal guardian for the kid. And, when she handed in the application form, the officer told her that she had to get a signed statement from her husband, stating that he had no objections to her being the guardian. She refused to get such a statement. So, what does this really lead to? That a mother who has brought the child into this world has no legal right to sign up as a legal guardian on any of the application forms in this country? What happens if the parents are separated or the husband has abandoned the mother and the child? Does this mean the father still has greater rights on the child he has abandoned than the mother?
Friday, November 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Yup! This is the 21st century for you. I remember a similar experience when we tried to open a bank account here. I needed a letter from my husband telling the bank that he lived at our address and that I was his wife and I lived with him! Women's lives have no meaning if it's not attached to that of a man. I wonder how much of this is the law and how much of it is cultural bias though.
I do not know Emma, I have been abroad, always alone (was married too) and since my passport was made before marriage, my husband's name is not there. Though in visa applications, I put his name if asked. Yet, I never faced any problems!
However, I feel so angry at what you had to go through.
[Sujatha} thanks for sharing your experiences. Honestly, this just makes me indignant more than anything else. It is as though I have no identity at all without my husband's name tagged to me! You are right - a lot of it could be a cultural bias too. But if the application form warrants the husband's signature in the "No Objection" column, there should some regressive law somewhere governing this as well, don't you think?
[Mridula} I am glad you did not have to face such problems. I have been out of the country before, but always on work. And I don't know if that is more acceptable. But this time around we are doing a personal trip, and this is what I was told. I don't even know if the laws stipulate this or this is more a case of taking precautions such that the visas are not rejected; but either way I do feel angry. Trust me, it spoilt my entire day that day.
Re your friend at the Bank
The Supreme Court in Gita Hariharan v. Union of India upheld the right of the mother to be appointed as legal guardian for the children. In the above case, Gita Hariharan was able to successfully sue RBI.
Your friend can insist on her name to be placed on record.
[Red] Thanks a lot for the info... that surely does make things seem so much better. I will give this info to my friend.
Been there, done both.
What gets my goat is the "Emergency contact number" on my kids' school ID-card is by default their dad's mobile number. Moms are the ones who rush to school at every emergency but do they count?
Emma I hope you saw this, your post featured at Desipundit.
http://www.desipundit.com/2005/11/07/not-a-mans-world/
[aekta] You are right, that is another area that really gets to me. Or all those innumerable application forms that only seem to ask for the father's name!!! I don't have kids, but I sure know the feeling.
Thanks for visiting.
[mridula] Thanks for the hat tip to Desipundit. No, I hadn't seen the link until you pointed out.
this is crazy! no objection certificate from the husband, huh. I remember buying a mobile phone recently in Bangalore and had to fill up a form which included details of my husband / father's name.
and neither of them was paying for it. I saw absolutely no need for it.
[charu] Thanks for visiting. And yes, I so agree with you - the details required on any application form, as though without these men we have no identity whatsoever. I have always wondered why we never have to specify our mothers' names on any application!
Hi emma,
its good to read all these comments which are positive and without any male-bashing...
Well, on the lighter side i feel, that other than this government thingy (i am not saying it is right) of stating your husband's name, it is a woman's world out there :)
What say u?
Adios...
[shoonya] Well, on the lighter side, maybe. But seriously, I don't think so. :)
this is to answer the post by Red.. in the geeta hariharan case ..the word After was replaced by the SC of India to be read as "in the absence of" ...i do no see a justification in that too and i really doubt if that serves as a good response to women rights'.how can the cour jes presume that a father comes before the motherr..wat else can be more indginating than this SC judgment.. i strongly disagree ...even if geeta won the case it does not mark celebration time fr women!!!
Post a Comment