Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Physical spaces at work

An interesting discussion at work, set off by an idea mooted by a colleague, a soon-to-be-boss. This was about physical spaces and their importance at the work place. How important actually are individual, physical spaces in an office environment? Not important at all, the colleague opined. His take was this: a “livelier, more productive” atmosphere is created when people sit facing one another, close to one another without the physical barriers of a cubicle or a cabin separating them. This also resulted in more interaction between and among teams, he supposed. One begs to differ here. To me, physical spaces are important, really important. There are moments when I do believe one perceives the need to detach oneself from one’s surroundings, and not only in the mental sense, but in a physical sense; and the cubicle that one works in becomes one’s very own private spot in this very public domain. The need for isolation could be a very professional one – to regulate stuff that one needs to do, stuff one needs to concentrate on; this is a lot more than just a distance in the mind. Hence what is required is enough space to do one’s work, including interaction with a team, and a customized world for oneself, limited, but perfectly one’s own. Besides, as another colleague rightly put it, congested spaces breed congested work patterns, and could also result in one becoming really petty.

And of course, I also believe there is another aspect to it – the whole privacy part that one can easily overlook in wanting to be politically correct. It is true – we do not necessarily want someone looking at our screens all the time, being able to see exactly what we are doing at any given point of time. I find that intrusive. Also, I am sure each one of us likes to work without having to worry about anyone watching or judging us; in that sense the cubicle essentially becomes a comfort barrier. This is where the individual can concentrate on his or her thoughts, and not be distracted in one's state of concentration. I am not sure about others, but having someone stand/sit real close to me while I work makes me extremely uncomfortable, unless I am working with someone on an issue/problem. Maybe, this just stems from the fear of having our "space" invaded.

I remember reading this about spaces and people (not sure where, though); that each of us demarcate different zones of interaction; that one has an intimate zone, which is reserved for closest friends. For Americans this “intimate zone” is about two feet, but can vary from culture to culture. The “personal zone” from about 2-4 feet is usually reserved for friends and family. And the “social zone”, about 4-12 feet, is where most business transactions take place. The “public zone”, which is above 12 feet, is the one usually used for lectures.

I believe the “social zone” is what is required in office spaces. An individual grows professionally and personally in a space where the person is appropriately influenced by the positive factors surrounding one, and yet is given an opportunity to detach from others.

Oomph! Now I have had my say. My two cents worth!

ASIDE: Yesterday, I solved my first SUDOKU puzzle inside of 15 minutes. Solved another one this morning successfully. And yes, it felt real good. I am not sure how long the interest will last though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say, it is because of the Personal Computers use at work that makes us more comfortable in our own cubicle. Because we indulge in our private, personal world more often than before- each time when we check our personal email, or talk to a friend online- that is when we do not want to sit close to people.

:)

Anonymous said...

[anonymous] Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out, though I am not quite so hooked to the puzzle yet.

[truman] I tend to disagree with you here. The comfort of a cubicle or a physical space separated from the others is not only because one wants to indulge in personal stuff, such as email and chat. I think it is required even in professional dealings. That is what my argument was all about. I believe the personal space gives you the liberty and flexibility to work at your own pace, without having to worry about others' eyes on you, which, I do believe, can be quite distracting.

Mridula said...

Emma, I worked at a place where there was staff room culture (I teach in college) and now at a place where I have my own room (and everyone else too). I would anyday have my room because preparing my lecture when three of my fellow teachers had just come back from theres and having tea, is not my idea of effective preparation.

I agree one needs space to concentrate to do anything worthwhile.

Did they implement that scheme in your office yet?

Anonymous said...

Mridula,
We already have our own personal space at work. There was a proposal to remove all personal space and make it one big working unit. I was against such a proposal and this post is my thoughts regarding the same.
They haven't yet gone ahead with the ideas mooted in any manner, and hopefully they never will. You are right - having one's own space to do anything worthwhile is really important.

Anonymous said...

[Emma] I got your point. You have taken a wider perspective into account.