A friend finally married - and I am really happy for her. She has been through some tough times, but finally things seem to be falling into place. And, of course, that was the good deed for the month for yours truly.
This is really good news. In fact, tops all other news that I have heard today. It could really go a long way in removing the bias against the girl child, and fostering her education. They say, if a student drops out mid-way without completing her education, she is expected to refund the entire amount she had received thus far - this can be a real incentive and help ensure that girl children continue with their education. Now, one can only hope this scheme works fine without any fraud in management and implementation. There is of course one thought - does it mean that the HRD assumes that families with boy children are already empowered in some manner? That isn't necessarily so. It could help if this scheme is extended to even boy children from economically backward, under-privileged families. Could this be an answer for child labour as well?
Or am I missing out on the bigger picture here?
Saturday, September 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I don't think they are going to apply this scheme to boys since the article states in the beginning- " In a bid to correct the male-female sex ratio while promoting population control...". But yes, this IS a good thing to happen.
The thing that concerns me is how much of this will get implemented at the grass root level.
But overall, I am sure it's a nice thing to happen because I believe it could go a long way in promoting girl education in the rural, small-town India where this aspect of a girl's life seems to be more neglected than in the rest of the country.
Good news indeed, I only hope this gets implemented well.
Post a Comment