
And the blurb actually is even more shocking: "Tel Aviv's decisive action comes after recent terror attacks; New Delhi still hems and haws over its response to 26/11".
This disturbs me; especially when one considers the connotations that the article carries, it is quite distressing. This report is about the latest attack carried out by Israel against Palestine, but the editors of this paper obviously see this as the most appropriate response; in fact, this newspaper seems actually proud of this massacre - "200 dead, 700 injured", it screams out. And the headline unflinchingly dares India to do an Israel and bomb Pakistan.
Has it come to this, that we view India and Israel in the same light, that we do not see how detrimental it is to even us to compare the situation in this country with what is happening in the Middle East? The electronic media in this country, led by pseudo patriotic fervour of Arnab Goswami (of Times Now), has already started a war with our neighbour and now, it is the turn of the print media to jump into the fray - baying for blood, advocating violence. Don't the likes of the Indian Express editor or Arnab Goswami stop and think for a minute - Do they really believe we will not be affected in any way by this so-called war? Do they really think war will solve all problems?
And when someone wakes up, looks at this headline and thinks it is totally apt, it troubles me even more. After all, there could be more than one person out there who thinks in the same manner.
3 comments:
Well, Shekhar Gupta is more or less the Arnab Goswami of the print media, no? Or is it the other way around? Anyway, if your readers want a different perspective on the Israeli attacks in Gaza, see this.
"This is of course a damnable and deliberate lie. Papers in Israel -- in Israel, but not the United States -- are reporting the truth: the murderous assault on Gaza was planned not only before the six-month ceasefire ended -- it was planned before the cease-fire even took effect."
> there could be more
> than one person
That gets a shoo-in as the Classic Understatement of 2008! :)
I don't think that WAR can resolve anything but cause more pain and kill more innocent lives !!!
Having said that I am equally disappointed with the way the entire episode has been handled. I think we should have been more aggressive.
[Ludwig] It should be the other way. But honestly, what difference does it make. Each morphs into another in some manner. I will check out the link.
Understatement - I guess I was trying to be at least a wee bit optimistic :).
[Om] India, I believe, should be firm, but fair. I do not wish it to succumb to some kind of patriotic fervour and consider aggression or war as an option. I am somehow just not convinced that is the way to go. To me, a peaceful coexistence with not only Pakistan but all our neighbours is fundamental to our survival as well.
Post a Comment