Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Trampling kids, a blessing?

This is appalling. That which makes you place a 6-month-old infant at the feet of a "godman" so he could step on the child; worse still, trample the child, dance on the child, swing the child around violently; Is this truly faith? Can you really blindly believe that all this makes your child blessed? And the person who does this to an infant is actually divine?

Look at this video, and you will know what I am talking about. People throng to Ramanand Yadav's gatherings at Rae Barelli believing him to be a miracle worker and are spellbound by his "tricks". As the video shows, a couple hand over their six-month-old child to Yadav's followers, who place the baby at the godman's feet. And Yadav showers his blessings on the infant. How? Yadav, who weighs probably 80 kgs, first steps on the baby. If you are appalled, wait, there is more to come. He starts jumping on the infant, then picks her up and swings her around violently. The parents watch all of this, not complaining, ever-so-grateful to the godman. The father says, we are fortunate that the baby has been blessed. The fact that the child is unconscious for the next half hour doesn't seem to perturb them much.

The report says that this has been happening for 8 years. All these years, and no action has been taken against him by either the police or the government. But what angers me is not the apathy or the ignorance of the officials - it is the multitude that gather at his meetings. How can you believe in something so abominable? How can you put your child or even yourself through something like this?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was horrifying to see the video. Worst to see was how the father was happy after the process was over. Unless the people wake up to it, I guess the authorities can't or maybe, won't do much.

Meanwhile, I am glad you are back to blogging "regularly".

You had asked how I find so much time to travel. Please read my last post :)

Anonymous said...

[truman] Horrifying it certainly was! I was so shook up after I watched the video, I felt a little disturbed for the next hour or so. I felt extremely sad - as you rightly pointed out - quite in contrast to how happy the father was towards the end. How can you put a 6-month-old through something like this, even if you have her best interests in mind?

Mridula said...

Mind numbingly sad and horrible.

Anonymous said...

[mridula] Just what I felt too...